May 26th, 2016
Don’t fight the traffic of the beltway to get out of town this Memorial Day Weekend. Instead, have a stay-cation and take advantage of everything D.C. has to offer on such an important holiday weekend. To make sure you make the most of your Memorial Day Weekend, we listed ten ways to enjoy your time around The Kenmore.
10 Things To Do Memorial Day Weekend
- Walk around the National Mall
- Visit a Smithsonian Museum. The National Air and Space Museum on the mall and the Udvar-hazy Center, National Museum of American History and the National Museum of Natural History will be open until 7:30 p.m. throughout the weekend.
- Memorial Day weekend is also the unofficial start to the summer season. Kick off the season on Friday night by enjoying the free jazz concert in the Sculpture Garden at the National Gallery of Art.
- Take part and observe the Rolling Thunder.
- Listen to the sounds of a 300-voice choir accompanied by the U.S. Air Force Orchestra at the Kennedy Center for the The National Memorial Day Choral Festival.
- Attend the National Memorial Day Concert for FREE on the West Lawn of the Capitol on Sunday night.
- Attend the screening of the documentary, The Unknowns, at Regal Bethesda 10 at 3 p.m. on Monday.
- Stop by one of the Memorial Day Observances on the National Mall on Monday. The observance at the WWII Memorial will be at 9 a.m. and Memorial Day will be observed at 1 p.m. at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
- Head over to Arlington National Cemetery. On Monday, observe the tradition, flags-in, while paying respect to those who have served our country. Also, on Monday, the wreath-laying ceremony will be held at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at 11 a.m.
- On Monday, attend the largest Memorial Day parade in the country! Starting at 2 p.m. watch as marching bands, floats, performers and veterans parade down Constitution Avenue.
Posted by Jill Burke